Wednesday, July 14, 2010

PETscan

Well, today was my PET scan. I'm not sure exactly what PET stands for, but I didn't come out of the machine as a dog or a cat, so I must be OK, right?

It wasn't that bad. Actually, it was quite pleasant. I got stuck with yet another needle, that was the only annoying part. But the tech did a great job, I didn't feel it and it was over quickly. (This coming from the girl who's had 3 kids, 3 nasal surgeries, been tattooed 8 times and once had a tongue piercing and still gets nervous over blood draws...go figure) Then, I got to lay in a nice comfy recliner under a warm blanket IN THE QUIET and sleep for 45 minutes. The tech then came in, woke me up pleasantly and softly, very much unlike the brutal awakening I get most mornings by my 3 adorable children, and led me to the PET scan machine. I got to relax in a moving bed! Oh yeah! It moved back and forth, back and forth, and back and forth while it was taking pictures of my full internal organs checking for any other affected areas. That lasted about 20 minutes, and then I got a yummy bag of nuts! I am being totally serious! They are made exclusively for the imaging facility, but it was a mixture of "C-blend" nuts, dried pineapple and apples, and just the right amount of raisins to give it that sweet crunchy taste. YUM! Maybe I enjoyed it a little too much, but after 14 hours of fasting for this test, they sure did taste delicious!

Then, I did some retail therapy ALONE and picked up a few much needed things. Do you know how long it's been since I've gone shopping BY MYSELF?? I can't even remember.....

I get my results from this PET scan Tuesday when I meet with my oncologist again.

Prayer requests for this week:
1. PET scan comes back with no other affected places, otherwise I move to Stage 4. So, pray with me for NEGATIVE results on that test.
2. MRI results will also be in Tuesday. We know that 5 lymph nodes are enlarged, but it scanned for any more, so pray with us that it is only the 5 we know about and nothing more. If I move past 9 lymph nodes, I also move to a Stage 4. So, pray for NORMAL results on that test.
3. BRCA results will be in Tuesday as well. This tested to see if a gene is involved in my Breast Cancer. If it is positive, then that means they will most likely want to remove my ovaries as well, to err on the side of caution. (I really don't care, I am not using them anymore, but I'd like to keep a little bit of my insides in tact....) It also means that my sisters, aunts, and daughter will need to start their mammograms early. Kaylee will already have to start at age 23, regardless, since they recommend 10 yrs under the age that the mother got diagnosed. But, hopefully by the time she gets boobies, there will be a cure anyways!

So, that's it for now. Thank you Merci for entertaining Brayden today. Thank you Mom for watching my Grayson at the drop of a hat. Thank you Dianna for taking Kaylee to VBS all week for me, entertaining her, and feeding her.

I love my support system! They're the best! (Even the ones who I haven't called on yet.)

Ta-Ta for now....

1 comment:

  1. We'll continue to keep you in our prayers ~ negative on the PET, normal on the MRI, negative on the BRCA & a CURE for stupid cancer!!

    ReplyDelete