Monday, July 19, 2010

MD Anderson....HERE I COME!!!

So, my garage sale Saturday was truckin' along when my phone rang and I didn't recognize the number. I decided to answer it and it was Colleen! (a little background, Colleen is the best friend of my wonderful sister-in-law Kay, and she sells medical equipment, specifically ultrasound machines, so she has LOTS of connections with different hospitals. Not to mention, her hubby is currently awaiting a kidney transplant by the end of the year, and is busy seeking out donors. See their story here) So, when she called... even with everything else she has going on, I was none the less, flabbergasted! Especially when she told me "I got you into MD Anderson!"

Originally, when I called MDA they said they were shorthanded surgeons and because of my age and stage they didn't want me to wait till the end of August to get in, and to go ahead and start treatments with my current surgeon, if I like him. Well, I do like him, but he's not at MDA and that's just where I want to be! If I get a headache, I take Tylenol. If I give birth, I get an epidural. So, you get cancer....you go to MDA...ESPECIALLY if you live in TX. It's a no-brainer, but that idea was shot to pieces when she told me that they were short handed.

So, upon hearing this news, it was all I could do to keep my feet on the ground and not jump up and down like an overly-excited 6 yr old girl who gets to have a sleepover with her BFF! My boob was hurting a little bit that day, so jumping was out of the question...

But, excited I was!!! So, I called this morning to make my appt and I don't have a specific date yet, but once I get all my 12,369 pieces of paperwork in hand that they need, I can call them back for an appt. It's supposed to be somewhere around August 5th or 6th when the Dr returns from vacation. But, in the meantime, I have to call all 6 places where I've been seen, touched, examined, or had a test and get every piece of documentation (films, slides, Dr notes, reports, etc) and drop them all off at MDA. This should prove to be really really fun considering my kids NEVER need anything till I get on the phone, it takes you 27 minutes and 36 seconds just to get a live person on the phone at most places, and don't forget..."you know have to press 1 for ENGLISH". So, hopefully in the next 2 weeks, I can get all the phone calls made that I need to make, and get all the reports I need, and go around and pick them up, because I don't have a fax machine (and Chris' is community fax at work so they won't fax it to him).

Oh, and MDA informed me today that the cost for reading my slides (that have already been read once) is $250-$2,500 and may or may not be covered under my insurance. Really, could you narrow it down anymore? That's quite a gap....so add that on my list of phone calls too...Ugh

I need a personal assistant....HAHAHA

Well, I'm excited, but I gotta get to sleep.

Thank you so much Colleen! I cannot find the words to thank you enough! I love you and your beautiful family!!! You are such a special lady and your heart is one of the biggest in the world and you've proven that time after time.

Ta-Ta for now.

1 comment: