Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cancer Sucks

I've been having a hard time lately. The past few days of waiting for the mediastinoscopy, the phone calls, the waiting on call backs. Everything kind of got to me last night and Chris and I decided to watch a movie we've had for years, but never opened. So, we pulled out "Pay it Forward" thinking it would be uplifting, and cheerful. Um.....NO! Yea, the message was good, and I liked the whole "pay it forward" idea....but the kid dies at the end. I cried. and cried. and cried.

Life is just unfair. It was unfair to him, it is unfair to me. It's unfair to everyone in some sort of way. We just have to roll with the punches, and play the hand we are dealt, but it doesn't change the fact that this should NOT be happening to me.

I did everything right that I was supposed to do in my lifestyle. I've NEVER used drugs, I just started drinking a little here and there.. recently, never been a drinker. I've battled weight problems my ENTIRE life, finally got that under control, and I've battled sinus issues my ENTIRE life and finally got that under control. Battled the smoking demon for years off and on, finally conquered that battle too. So, I know I can win this fight too, but DAMN....why do I have to? Why does everything have to be a battle with us? When are we gonna catch a break?

I hate being in this stage and fear of the "unknown". We know I have cancer. We know it's at least stage 3. We know my tumor is triple negative. But, until we know if this is Sarcoid or mestatic disease, and until the chemo shows it is working, we are stuck in this awful place of "what-if's" and "I don't know". This is the worst place to be and we are stuck here for the next few months until the tumor shrinks or the follow-up MRI and PETscan show that I am getting better. I just wish we had answers. I wish we had a "cure" and not just a "this usually works". Having a triple negative tumor sucks even more. It makes my fight harder, and it makes my road longer. It makes my faith get tested harder, and it makes me cry more. It's been almost a month since I found this, and we still have not even started treatments because we are waiting on this, waiting on that, testing this, testing that... in the meantime, this horrible thing inside my body is doing who knows what and I'm starting to get worried.

I get daily emails from people, phone calls, texts, etc and I really don't know how to answer honestly. Yes, I'm doing OK physically, but inside I am scared shitless. I don't know my outcome, I don't know my precentages, I don't know my odds. I'm stuck in the "I have no freaking clue" stage and it's not up to me at this point. I'm just ready to start this fight and get it over with. But we can't .... until we know more of what we are dealing with.

Chris has been a HUGE leaning tower for me and a HUGE help and has a HUGE shoulder for me to cry on. But at the same time, he is just as scared as me. We can't go back, we can only go forward, and we want to go back. Back to where we were a year ago, even a month ago. We are coming up on our 10 yr anniversary, our marriage is stronger than ever, and we have no clue what to do to celebrate because at the same time, I have a battle ahead of me. I don't know where I'll be on our "day" or how I'll be feeling. We just can't imagine life any differently right now, but in the back of our minds, we wish we could go back. We keep saying "why do these things keep happening to us?" and "how are we going to pay for all this?" I know the answer is "God is in control, He knows the outcome, and we have to turn it over to him" but that's really hard to do when we are waiting...and waiting...and waiting.... and nothing is happening.

Just having a hard day, I guess. We all have them, and it's totally OK to feel helpless and fearful, and we will get through these feelings. But, it doesn't change the fact that THIS IS NOT FAIR!!!

I'm still in a state of shock over this whole thing. Changed a lot of plans we had. Changed a lot of views we shared. Changed a lot of financial plans we had. Changed a lot of my kids summer plans. Sure, we are hanging in there, but at the same time, we live, breathe and think about nothing but cancer right now. It's all-consuming and it sucks.

I have an awesome support system, I have a wonderful Mother who sends me daily scriptures and posts on my Facebook wall non-stop, as well as my Dad. I have a great family who knows when I need to be left alone and they don't call. I have great friends who just stop by to vaccuum or make a bed, or take my kids here and there. I have so much help, but the truth of the matter is....Cancer SUCKS and I don't want it. I want it gone. NOW. I can't believe I am going through this.

Fear of the unknown is a justified reason to cry......right? Having cancer is a justified reason to cry....right? Now, I just gotta find a way to stop the tears from flowing in front of my kids. They cannot smell or sense my fear. I won't allow it. But it happens sometimes.

......and it sucks.

....Cancer sucks!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry your heart is so heavy today...with tears in my eyes, I'm sending up another prayer for your for comfort, for answers, for your fears to be eased...your strength thus far has been incredible...I admire you for all the positive messages and posts and your faith...sending prayers and hugs...XxXxXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tiffany..of course it’s ok to cry & to grieve for “what used to be”. The fear of the unknown & unanswered questions is overwhelming. Even in your deepest sorrow, God cares & sees each of your tears. His word even tells us He records our laments & stores our tears (Psalm 56:8). I will continue to pray God gives you strength & peace during this difficult waiting time. The song by John Waller, “While I’m waiting” says it all.. While I’m waiting
    I will serve You
    While I’m waiting
    I will worship
    While I’m waiting
    I will not faint
    I’ll be running the race
    Even while I wait

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does SUCK, and I think God agrees. God did not give this to you, you are His very precious creation and He loves you. I will be praying for God to comfort you and your family. BUT please be kind and patient with yourself on these low and teary days - this is very scary!
    "They that sow in tears shall reap joy" Psalms 126:5

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM THANKFUL FOR THE COMGINED PRAYERS (CAROLINE,LORI & MARY) Mary is right...God did not give you this dis-ease. You are under attack. You are in a fight. You are not alone. God is your strength and refuge. Greater is He that is in you, than (that thing).
    RIGHT NOW and throughout the day, Speak God's WORD OUT LOUD! Fix your eyes and ears on God's Word. God's Word is your weapon.
    2 Cor 10:4-5 says "The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
    See your Armor of God that you are wearing.. Eph 6:10-18. Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tiffany!!!

    I know exactly how you feel. I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer and tested positive for the BRCA 1 genetic mutation in December.

    I just finished 6 months of chemotherapy and 12 days ago had a skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander placed and all my lymph nodes replaced. I am in treatment at MD Anderson. Next week I will be discussing with my Oncologist and Radiation Oncologist when I will be starting my 6-8 weeks of Radiation Therapy.

    I have a blog also www.monkmoni.blogspot.com

    I would be more than happy to talk with you. I know how you're feeling and could offer you some support since I've been through "it".

    I had many down days. Cancer sucks - there is no other way to put it. I will say that I have been blessed in many ways by being on this journey.

    Please contact me 281.686.3444 or moni.monk@gmail.com

    God Bless You! Keep your battle armor on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiffany - cry all you want and it's ok to show your kids that you are human - I think they understand more than we give them credit. Crying is cleaning and refreshing! You have a right to cry - cry all you want. Hey - and on the lighter side... it's free! :)

    Love,

    Terri David

    ReplyDelete