Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Replacement.....

Chris' truck was stolen on the 13th of June. They found it on June 22. It had some body damage and they took everything out of it. So, they went ahead and totalled it and he began his search for his mustang. He has been DYING for a Mustang Shelby GT 500 for about 6 years now. It was one of those things that we talked about doing when the kids were older. We were going to keep his truck and get the Mustang as a weekend, cruising, date car. Why??? Because it only holds 4 people and we are a family of FIVE! But, we talked about it and the only other thing he would want is a truck. Well, trucks are REALLY hard to find used in good condition, so we would have probably had to buy a new one. We didn't get very much from insurance because it was a 12 year old truck that was stolen. So, a truck the way he wants them runs about $50,000 brand new. He didn't want a new Mustang because they changed the body style in 2010 (I think) and he says the back tail-lights look like they are smiling at you. So, a used Mustang was WAY more affordable than a new truck. Besides, we have the Suburban as our family car, so the Mustang would just be a date car, drive to work car, and if he went somewhere with only 1 or 2 kids.

I was freaking out about having a second car note. We have only had one car note since before I quit working to be a stay-at-home-mom, 6 years ago. The truck has been paid off since then. Well, as God always has our backs.....Chris got a promotion at work about a month ago. He is now the manager of the 35K press at his company. So, we were looking forward to using the extra income every month to re-plenish our savings account, which has become VERY empty with all of our medical expenses. But, God had other plans and at least he got the promotion before his truck got stolen. His raise was almost the same amount as what the new car note is. Thank you Jesus!!!

So, as we are discussing what to get, if the Mustang was going to be practical, and how we would handle certain drop-off and pick-up situations with the kids, I was, at first, really hesitant of him getting a 4 seater. But, he does deserve his dream car, right? He's been SO absolutely wonderful during this past year especially. I mean, he's great all the time, but this year, he has definitely won the "Husband of the Year" award. How can I say no??? He is the one who works for our income, AND....he has had that truck since before we met. I've had 3 cars in that time because we decided that since I primarily tote the kids around, I need the newer, most dependable car. So, I got on board with his Mustang search.

He found one he LOVED and it was a GREAT price. We were going to drive to San Antonio last Saturday to pick it up. Well, the dealership there sold the car the day before we were supposed to leave. Chris was PISSED!!!!! It was the only Black one we could find within 200 miles and he had his heart set on a black Shelby GT 500. We had told the dealership we were coming to pick it up Saturday, and they said they tried to call us when the other guy (who flew in from California to buy it) showed up. Well, the idiot sales guy (Abel) called Chris' work number 3 times after 5 o'clock, and didn't call our cell phones. I called last Friday and gave the used car manager a piece of my mind. He said "I would've held the car for you if we had just talked to you and you said you were for sure going to buy it. Abel said he called all 3 numbers we had for you"........"I DID TELL YOU WE WERE FOR SURE, AND HE DIDN'T CALL ALL 3 NUMBERS....HE CALLED THE SAME NUMBER 3 TIMES!!!!" I told him my 8 year old could call people better than the idiot who called the same number THREE times.... Told him how bad that reflected on his dealership and that we would NEVER do business with them again. All he did was apologize over and over. Really, what else could he do? You can't just produce a used mustang in black that quickly. But, at least I felt better after chewing his ass out.

So, we began the search all over again. Chris found one he liked at a local dealership (Texas Auto Online) in dark smoke grey. He called about it, and in talking to our salesman, Don Staples, he mentioned that they had just gotten in a Roush Mustang in black. He texted pictures to us and we fell in love with it. I actually like it better than the Shelby because it has shinier wheels, (typical girl response, right?) and it had a lot of modifications done on it. For all you people like me who don't know the difference between a Roush and a Shelby, here is what I've learned.... Shelby is produced by Caroll Shelby exclusively for Ford Mustangs. Jack Roush is a different motor maker who takes a GT and drops his engine in it, signs it, and adds a bunch of other stuff. This one is a Stage 3, which means something with Roush engines that means it costs more money, but to me, stage 3 is my original stage of cancer I was diagnosed with, so it was almost as if this was our "sign" that it was our car. The Roush vs the Shelby is a long time running argument. Each one says they are better, and whichever one you have is the one you argue is better. It's kind of like the argument between a Droid and an iPhone. (iPhone kicks the Droid's ass in my opinion...because I have an iPhone)

I read somewhere that they only produce 100 Roush Mustangs per year. Not sure exactly, but that's what I read somewhere. Anyways, it's really pretty, it's really fast, and he LOVES it. I think he looks super HOTT and SEXY driving it.

So, last Friday, we went and bought the 2007 Roush Mustang GT and drove it home. Don was awesome, we got a great price, and we were in and out of the dealership in about an hour, because they did almost everything over the phone for us. We even worked out the price before we got down there, since we would be getting there so late, and I wanted them to hold it for me so he wouldn't lose another Mustang to someone else.

So, if anyone is ever in the market for a Used higher end car, that is definitely the dealership I would recommend! Go see Don Staples! He Rocks!

Here are some pictures:

















There is the car....the replacement. Now I have to find me a trailer to haul my booth setup around in for my craft shows. We always used the truck and my Suburban for that. Gosh, so many memories in the truck.... We will have to make new ones in the Mustang now.

No comments:

Post a Comment