Sunday, September 5, 2010

It can't come fast enough....

I go for a scan on September 20th. At that time, we will see what 8 rounds of Taxol has done to the tumor. I am anxiously awaiting this date because I can tell it has been shrinking, but not sure how much. When my journey first started, I had a golf ball size lump that protruded a little bit out of the side of my right breast. It has now subsided somewhat, and I think quite significantly, but not sure exactly how much. So, I wait and wait. I'm anxious to see if all this chemo and all the extra stuff I've been doing is actually working....

Well, obviously SOMETHING is working, but to what extent?

As for chemo, I am amazed and surprised at how well I'm doing. It all came clear the other day as my friend pointed out that the first 2 rounds were the only rounds I really had side effects. That was when I started on the nutrients, and added the wheat grass to my daily regimen. This stuff helps your cells communicate, and if the cells can communicate, and with the right nutrients, your body can heal itself. So, in combination with the chemo, there is NO WAY IN HELL that something hasn't worked, and the fact that I can physically feel it working is my proof and my incentive to keep up the good work. Believe me...the morning smoothies are NOT appetizing, so choking them down every day is quite a chore.

I am usually tired on Thursday- Sunday and I am proud to say I only took a nap today. I probably could have taken one on the other days, but I was ok without it. My tummy has felt fine, and I'm actually getting out more and my anxiety has leveled out a lot. I usually only go to church for the first part, and by then I'm ready to go home to nap......today I made it through Sunday School AND "big church" as we call it. I think people are surprised when I say "I'm feeling great" because of all the pre-conceived notions of how people react to chemo. I drop my kids off at school every day, and pick them up...I go to the gym every chance I get....I chase a 2 yr old all day long...and I'm doing hair bows here and there. I cleaned my entire house Friday with only a little help from Chris, and cooked spaghetti for 20 people and cupcakes too! (WITH NO NAP!!) I'm sleeping well, I'm sleeping solid, and I'm energized when I wake up (after my initial 20-30 minutes of "wake up time").

I honestly feel like aside from being bald, I have no reminders that I have cancer. Especially stage 3, triple negative breast cancer. Seriously, you'd never guess it.... unless you see me bald and wearing a scarf or bandanna instead of my wig.

So, things I get to brag about from cancer......
1. I haven't shaved my legs in over a week and they are still smooth as a baby's butt!!
2. I haven't shaved my armpits in 5 days and they are still smooth.
3. I can shower and get ready in 20 minutes or less, with full makeup!
4. I don't have "bad hair days"
5. I haven't plucked or waxed my eyebrows in about 2 months and they still look newly waxed.
6. I don't have to wear a headband to keep my hair out of my face when I wash my face at night, nor do I have to hold my hair back when I brush my teeth and spit.
7. I am saving lots of money on shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, and razors.
8. I am 3 days late on my period, and I'm thinking maybe I won't have anymore. (I'm not really sure when this was supposed to kick in, but I was told that I would be going through early menopause at some point during treatment. I usually get severe cramps for 2-3 days before, and they aren't here....so maybe I'm done??? Don't really want to speak too soon though)
9. I have an excuse for not having a tan, and for gaining a few lbs.
10. Not only am I allowed to take naps, I am URGED to take naps.....

So, there you have it...my top ten list for "ha-ha, I have chemo..."

I am sitting here staring at my husband over the top of my laptop, and he looks delicious. So, I gotta go.......

Ta-Ta!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment