Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A.R.K.

I know I already blogged today, but we had "family movie night" tonight and Kaylee picked the movie 'Evan Almighty'. I always love some of the quotes from God (Morgan Freeman) in that movie so I thought I'd share. "(God reciting the pledge) One nation....under me....." I always laugh my ass off at that line....

One of my favorite lines is "If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"

So, I didn't pray for this battle, OBVIOUSLY! Who would? But I prayed for me to figure out what to do with my business, and how to stretch my time between the kids and a growing business. I prayed for him to guide me in the right direction as to what to do with the business. So, did he answer my prayer exactly? NO. But was he supposed to? NO Did I expect him to? Kind of..... Did my prayers get answered.......YES! Just not in the way I had hoped.

I can say that this is all perfect timing, if there is such a thing...perfect timing for cancer??? What if this had come earlier in life? I am supposed to go through early menopause through this whole ordeal which means NO MORE KIDS. I know, that might excite some people.....even though we were already done anyways after Grayson. But what if it had happened after I had Kaylee? It happened at a time when business was slow, so the few clients I had designs pending for were VERY understanding about me referring them to someone else. It happened at a time when all my friends were on summer break, so therefore, finding childcare for all my testing appts for a month were taken care of. I found the lump the DAY AFTER I got back from a vacation. Could you imagine if I had found the lump while ON vacation? It happened at a time before I signed up for a lot of winter craft shows. (It was on my to-do list for when I returned for vacation) It happened during the summer, while my kids were here to bond with me, and share this journey with us. Not be at school all day worried about Mommy. Now, they start school PEACEFULLY knowing that every Wednesday, Mommy has chemo and will come home right as they are going to bed, just in time to tuck them in.

I was going to sign up to be a surrogate mom and carry a baby for someone else....but we wanted to wait until Grayson was 2....June 20th, and I found the lump on June 29th. So, perfect timing? I think so. Even though that dream is probably shattered now, It just wasn't meant to be, and I'm at peace with that because it wasn't my decision to make.

The second line from that movie that I love is "God: How do we change the world?
Evan Baxter: One single act of random kindness at a time.
God: [spoken while writing A-R-K on ground with a stick] One Act, of, Random, Kindness "

So, have you done one single Act of Random Kindness? I want to challenge you to all do one single act of random kindness tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day. Just think ARK... it's where the world "re-started" and it's where the world can now "re-start" again. Call an old friend and catch up, or apologize for a relationship gone bad. Forgive someone, and let them know they've been forgiven. Help an old lady cross the street. Bake some cookies for a neighbor you've never met....it might be exactly what they need. Do whatever it is that you are led to do, but remember throughout the day.....one single act of random kindness and you can help change the world.

Or at least make it a happier place....

Hell, if it doesn't work, at least you'll feel better about yourself....right? I PROMISE you, there are still good people out there. I've been a witness to it recently. You just have to find them. You'll find them by doing one single A.R.K.

(disclaimer: I also know that there are some people in this world who are completely uncapable of doing this because of who they are, but I also believe God can change them.....by examples)

Ta-Ta for now, my ARK angels.... night night.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful words. Very inspiring. This is what brings love and hope into the world. ARK is full of meaning for me now. I remember the movie, but now it means more to me than before. I love you.

    ReplyDelete