Thursday, October 7, 2010

2010 Susan G Komen Race for the Cure

Saturday, I competed in my first Susan G Komen walk for the Cure race. It was fun and emotional! Chris and I got up bright and early that morning, like 4am early! We headed out at 5am to pick up Diana and head to downtown Houston.















Krissy, Crystal, Joyce (team captain) and Stefanie Otto showed up shortly after we arrived with Diana.




My team arrived also bright and early and we met on the steps of City Hall.














Then, next to arrive was Sarah B, and as a surprise she brought Mell and Becky with her. I had no idea they were walking. So, it was nice having them there too!





Sarah K, Renee and Merci showed up right as we were about to head to the starting line.

Downtown Houston was PACKED and it was hard to get around all the people. We happened to be close to the end of the line, but I was totally fine with that. I wanted to bask in all my glory and enjoy the moment. The walk finally kicked off at about 8:30 am.

I had gotten new shoes for this event, so I was sure to take a picture of them also.















I love love love the Pink Port-O-Potties!!! I didn't use them, but I thought they were cute!!!






Stacy and her kids showed up too and they walked with us the whole time. Stacy's daughter is one of Kaylee's good friends, and Stacy is a teacher at their school. Her husband is the pastor at the Cowboy Church in town, but they used to attend our church.



Stefanie and I have been best friends since we were 12. She came out to walk with me, and we had fun walking and talking the whole time. Most of my team got split up so she was one of the ones who managed to stay beside me. With a crowd that large, it's so easy to be split up. I told them to keep looking for my pink cupcake hat.




This is only a fraction of the people who were there. We had more people behind us and more people who had already taken off for the running part.




It took us about 30 mintues before we actually crossed the starting line from where we started at. That's how far back we were and walking like a herd of elephants at a turtle's pace.





After the race, Diana, Stefanie, Chris and I found a comfy piece of grass and ate a bite and visited before heading home.







All in all, it was a great day. The whole "Lets Find a Cure" kind of gets on my nerves because you'd think with the MILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars raised for cancer research, there would be a cure. I feel like there is and the scientists are sitting on it, or hiding it, but that's a whole other post. I'll stay off that soapbox now. I walked the race because I want to promote Breast HEALTH Awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment