Thursday, December 2, 2010

One more to go!!!!!

Well, I am sitting here at the moment receiving my chemo drip. This is my second to last FAC chemo, and I am super excited about that. My last one should be scheduled for December 23. Dr Theriault, my oncologist, said today at our visit that my blood counts are VERY good and doesn't anticipate that we will have to delay the last chemo. That is bittersweet news for me. I'm excited to have it all done, but on the same note, that means that my Christmas eve and Christmas day are gonna be kind of rough. Typically, the first 5 days after chemo are my "weird tummy" feelings. I stay on top of my anti-nausea medicines, so I don't "get sick" but nothing tastes good (except a BBQ potato and a McRib sandwich from Mcdonalds) and I never know if what I am feeling is nausea, anxiety, hunger, or indigestion. It feels like all of them combined, so I don't ever know if I should eat or not. Then, after that subsides, I usually have about 2 days of reflux going on and I want to sleep a lot for the second week (days 10-14). Then, I finally have a normal week, my appetite subsides, and the sleepiness wears off, I just am lazy and non energetic the last 7 days of my 21 day cycle. So, Christmas day, I'll have a little energy, but I probably won't want to eat anything which sucks because our family tradition is too cook a Christmas dinner for our kids that day. (We do a typical Thanksgiving day type meal with fried turkey and all the fixings). I'm fairly certain that I also want want to cheat and steal any holiday cookies we will be baking. That's a good thing.....especially these days.

So, as for the chemo and side effects, I'm still doing very well. No major complaints. Not that I am much of a complainer anyways, but the only real side effects I have are not painful, just annoying. I've lost my eyelashes completely and I only have about 4-5 hairs in my eyebrow line. I busted out the "temporary tattoo eyebrows" and the false lashes this week. I only wear them when I go out somewhere major. Dr appointments, errands and social gatherings are lash less. It's too much work unless it's really worth it. But, I feel like I "look" sick now that I have lost those, especially if I don't have makeup on. Of course, the hair on my head is GROWING...go figure. It's thinned out, but it's about a half inch long already and I razor shaved my head for Halloween, so it's grown that much in just over a month, while most people lose their hair completely around that time.  My fingernails are discolored to a pale yellow color, and they have lifted about half way on my nail bed. It looks like a pocket of air under there. It doesn't hurt, I just can't do a lot of things because they could fall off. No more ponytails in Kaylee's hair, no more opening coke cans, no more untying knots, and no more tearing ketchup or condiment packets.

I signed up for a craft show last year when I did the show, so I decided to go ahead and participate this year so that I didn't lose my spot for the next year. So, this weekend and next weekend, I will be at the FFA Christmas market on Telge Rd. I've been trying to get bows and rhinestone shirts made, but since I've been so tired, it hasn't happened. Good thing I make most of my stuff on the spot. Of course, my wonderful husband is going with me to help, and I've had a few friends offer as well. Since it's 2 days after chemo, I shouldn't be feeling all that great. The next weekend is my "tired weekend" and "not supposed to be in large crowds" weekend. All this, just to not lose my spot for next year when I'm back in full force. Plus, I feel like I've modified  my workload and given up quite a bit with the business lately, and I miss it. I'm bored. So, crazy as I am....come out and see me and make it worth my while and get some of your Christmas shopping done also. Great vendors and unique items for that "hard to buy for" person. Chris will be with me making shirts and doing things that I cannot do......He's such an awesome hubby. How many men would come to a craft show for 2 days and make rhinestone shirts??? MINE, because he loves me....
It is the Cy-Fair FFA Country Christmas Craft Show, this Saturday and Sunday (12/4 and 12/5) from 10-5 each day. It's at the Ag arena on Telge Road by 290 fwy.
Email me if you would like a flier emailed to you.

So, one more chemo treatment to go! Then I'm through the hardest part. After that, removal surgery and healing, followed by 6 long weeks of radiation EVERY day, and then once my skin heals from radiation, I can start on the reconstruction process. So, if you're wondering how much longer I have......probably another 9-12 months before I'm completely done.

Prayer requests or needs for us this week, for those who have asked:
  • Pray for continued good results from the chemo. Mild side effects, and blood counts to make them say "WOW".
  • Pray for my meeting with my current surgeon (tomorrow morning) where we will discuss if the total mastectomy she wants to do is 100% ABSOLUTELY the only way to go. (see prior post for more info on that one) I really do not feel at peace with that procedure so I'm going to try and convince them to do it my way, or give me statistical facts to this being the ONLY way we can go in my case. So, this means you might want to pray for the surgeon....for me to have mercy on her and not want to make her crawl under a bush and hide. (She's a good surgeon, don't get me wrong, I just don't want the procedure done her way and I think that's stepping on toes)
  • Pray for my husband and his position and possible advancement at work. We need a raise, he needs a promotion, and there are some things opening up.
  • Pray for a wonderful holiday season for everyone. Happy safe travels, and loving, giving hearts.
Needs:
  • Dinners, or pre-cut fresh fruits so the kids can get their own snacks while I am napping.
  • An occasional person to take Grayson, my sweet 2 yr old while I nap for a few hours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
  • An occasional sweeper, mopper, and duster fairy for my house since I didn't qualify for the Cleaning for a Reason program. Chris manages to get the dishes done and gets the counters wiped off daily, but toilets, bathrooms and laundry get done on weekends usually. He doesn't have time to get to the floors too often except the daily sweeping of all the kids crumbs under their chairs.
I have an online calendar set up that Eva, my PA, is arranging. If you'd like to join and sign up to help, please email me and I'll send you the link because it's a private site.

So, that's about it! Chemo is done and I'm heading home to sleep the day away.




4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're almost done with chemo! Will you have to drive in to the Med Center every day when you start radiation? I'll definitely be praying for the meeting with the surgeon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideally, I'd like to do my radiation in the woodlands at their satellite branch. It's only about 30-40 minutes one way as opposed to an hour and a half for med center. But I'm not sure yet if I can. Since it's still a few months away in the process, it's not a front burner question yet. I probably won't start radiation until march or April depending on how long it takes me to recover from the mastectomy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were 2 things I prayed for in your behalf .....1.That your blood count would be GREAT!
    2. That you would maybe have an appetite for baked potatoes. It is amazing that you told of both of those in you story. Both! God is amazing!
    You are amazing! And, you are so beautiful! I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'd be great if you don't have to drive so far every day, but I suppose you have time to figure out those details. I hope the meeting went well today!

    ReplyDelete