Monday, December 20, 2010

My only complaint so far....

I have not complained hardly at all during this whole ordeal. I'm fine with losing my hair, in fact, I've found some good points to it, and made a top ten list. But, the fingernails.....that part sucks!!!  They have basically lifted about half off my nail bed. Every single one of them. They are nasty, yellow and discolored, but I don't even care about the looks.....it's the tenderness and pain that I complain about. This is pretty much the worst side effect I've had. No mouth sores, no sickness (except the one time from reflux) and I'm ok with losing hair.... and even though I have fatigue, it doesn't hurt...
Have you ever tried to clean with nails like this? I have and I hit them against the counter while I was wiping it, and it hurt sooo bad! I've hit them on shelves, I've raked them across my jeans, and I've almost ripped them off trying to open a drawer. I can't even hardly put Kaylee's hair in a ponytail. I did finally find one way that I can do it, where I loop my pinky finger through her pony tail holder and pull with my finger, not my fingernail. My toe nails are probably just as bad, but they stay painted so I haven't seen them. Grayson steps on them ALL THE TIME and it freaking hurts! I've cried from him doing it because it hurts so bad. I've kicked toys, and scraped them under a counter once too and talk about PAIN! I've resorted to toe socks (which I absolutely HATE, but I have to do something to keep my toes warm since I can only wear flip flops.)

I'm told that they should NOT fall off, and that they should grow back onto the nail bed as they grow out, but I still have one more treatment left, so its a waiting game. I was told to keep them short and clipped to avoid any accidents, so I do that, but they still hurt. They are tender, and hurt, but only when I touch the tops of them. It makes it really hard to do anything. Cook, clean, open cans, drawers, and jars...wear shoes, pull up a zipper, dig in pockets or bottom of purse, type on computer, pretty much....most of my daily activities.

Oh, and can you imagine if I were to get cleaning products under there???? BURN!!!!

Yeah....this part sucks.

One more chemo left!!!!!



2 comments:

  1. I am sorry about the nails & the pain. But, you are doing amazing! You look beautiful! I love how you and Chris have fun activities with your kiddos. I am glad you are on the last chemo.
    I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're going through that pain. I never knew how much nails could hurt. I hope they start growing back normally SOON!

    ReplyDelete